Showing posts with label stealing. Show all posts
Showing posts with label stealing. Show all posts

Wednesday, 29 January 2014

Men charged with stealing discarded food from a supermarket bin

We no longer check to see whether Telegraph.co.uk displays properly in Internet Explorer version 6 or earlier.

To see our content at its best we recommend upgrading if you wish to continue using IE or using another browser such as Firefox, Safari or Google Chrome.



View the Original article

Man charged with stealing discarded food from a supermarket bin

We no longer check to see whether Telegraph.co.uk displays properly in Internet Explorer version 6 or earlier.

To see our content at its best we recommend upgrading if you wish to continue using IE or using another browser such as Firefox, Safari or Google Chrome.



View the Original article

Men charged with stealing discarded food from supermarket bin

which involves people taking discarded supermarket food Photo: Alamy By Miranda Prynne, News Reporter

2:27PM GMT 29 Jan 2014

Three men are due to stand trial next month after they were allegedly caught stealing food from dustbins behind an Iceland store.

The Crown Prosecution Service claimed there was a “significant public interest” in prosecuting Paul May, Jason Chan and William James for taking the discarded food, The Guardian reported.

Mr May, 35, a freelance web designer, is expected to argue that he has not done anything illegal by claiming mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese and Mr Kipling cakes which had been thrown away and would have ended up as landfill.

He will tell the hearing on February 3 the food had been disposed of and he needed it to feed himself.

The trio were arrested in October when a passer-by alerted police after seeing the men scaling a wall at the back of the supermarket in Kentish Town, north London.

Related Articles

Madeleine McCann detectives fly to Portugal to make possible arrests

29 Jan 2014

'Deirdre' to give evidence in Bill Roache trial

29 Jan 2014

Smoking with children in car could soon be illegal

29 Jan 2014

Madeleine McCann detectives arrive in Portugal to discuss possible arrests

29 Jan 2014

Football worker 'burst in 15 times as players showered'

28 Jan 2014

Officers intercepted the three men, who all live in a squat in north London, as they left with a bag and trolley containing £33-worth of food.

The case will highlight the issues around “skipping”, which involves people taking discarded supermarket food which is destined for landfill, and once again focus attention on the large amount of waste produced by UK stores.

It may also raise awareness of the growing number of people struggling to feed themselves as living costs increase.

The three men were initially arrested for burglary but have been charged under a little known section of the 1824 Vagrancy Act after being caught in “an enclosed area, namely Iceland, for an unlawful purpose, namely stealing food”.

They were held in a cell for 19 hours before being released, May told The Guardian, and the items were returned to the Iceland store.

Lawyers for the three men asked the Crown Prosecution Service to consider dropping the case, but were told the case would go ahead, because “we feel there is significant public interest in prosecuting these three individuals.”

Frozen food firm Iceland has said its staff had not called police about the three men allegedly stealing from its bins.

The retailer said the store is next to a police station and that officers had attended "on their own initiative".

It has asked the Crown Prosecution Service to explain why charges are being brought.

A statement on the Iceland website said: "The store in question is next door to a police station.

“Iceland staff did not call the police, who attended on their own initiative. Nor did we instigate the resulting prosecution, of which we had no knowledge until the media reports of it appeared yesterday evening.

"We are currently trying to find out from the Crown Prosecution Service why they believe that it is in the public interest to pursue a case against these three individuals, and will comment further when we are more fully informed."

 Law and OrderNews »UK News »Retail and Consumer »Food and Drink »Crime »

In Law and Order



View the Original article

Dancer Michael Flatley reveals terror of raiders stealing £200k rhino horn from his home

Michael and his wife were extremely distressed. A notorious traveller gang from Limerick are suspected of carrying out the raid

A source

A source said: “Michael and his wife were extremely distressed. A notorious traveller gang from Limerick are suspected of carrying out the raid.

“The horn will be worth tens of thousands on the black market.” Illegal dealers can sell rhino horns for up to £300,000 in Asia, where they are prized for their use in Chinese medicine.

No one was hurt in the raid but the family were shaken.

Flatley, who also created the Irish dance show Riverdance, spent £30million restoring 18th century Castlehyde.

A source said: “This is something he never expected.

“He bought the horn as a collector and is devastated. But he is more devastated at his and his family’s life being put at risk.”

Police appealed to the public for information about the raid.

Related articles Man charged over black rhino horns Swansea's Garry Monk has kit bag stolen by thieves Miley Cyrus' home burgled on the day before her birthday Valuable rhino horn stolen from Riverdance star's Irish home Tweet Share this Print Email 0Comments Add Your Comment Your Name: Comment: 1000 characters remaining Post Comment Most Read Stories Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho thrilled to see Arsene Wenger remain at Arsenal 1

View the Original article

Thursday, 14 November 2013

Burglar offers to let family give him a 'good beating' after stealing ashes

"James Greenwood panicked and threw the ashes of former war veteran John Clarkson, 91, into a wheelie bin. The casket is now lost on a landfill site " itemprop

View the Original article